Pub History
 
The Queens Head first appears in the "Jacksons Oxford Journal" circa 1850, when Richard Bridges is described as a "beer retailer".

In 1854 a terrible fire at the pub spread to a skittle alley, outhouse and brewhouse. After the fire the height of the exterior walls were raised and a slate roof place placed for the first time. Ownership of the pub at this time was held by the Akerman family of Wytham until the start of World War I.

During the wars (I and II), Morrells held the pub let before Simonds Brewery of Witney took over in the early 1930's.

In the 1970's Courage acquired the Queens Head before they sold it on to Morlands of Abingdon in 1993. Your current landlord Pete Jones took over the pub at this time on a 21 year lease. One of the bar areas was enlarged. Indoor toilets were introduced for the first time, and a commercial kitchen was built. The living accomodation was improved, but great care was taken to make sure that the original 150 year old public bar was left untouched.
 
Under the 27 year tenure of Jack Thornton the revival of the Eynsham Cricket club took place in 1972. The club became based at the Queens Head and are still to be found there.
  
 
 
 
And the lady on the left ?
 
Yes . . . You guessed. It's a picture which we imagine
resembles the lady who may be one of the pub ghosts.
There are many stories and speculations, but no-one
really knows the truth.

Gypsies have visited the pub and assured the landlord
that the pub IS haunted, but the spirits will cause no
harm and that they are friendly.

 
 
Just inside the door of the old bar is the original picture of the Queens Head which was used to create the pub sign outside. Mounted inside the frame is the following text.

The Queens head chosen for portrayal is that of Anne because this house is not far distant from Blenheim Palace at Woodstock, which was her reward to John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough for his services during the Spanish war of succession; it is therfore not unlikely that she sometimes passed this way with his wife Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, who was a close friend at court for many years.

 
Born at St. Jame's Palace in 1665, Anne was the second daughter of King James II who, because of his Catholic sympathies, has been forced to cede his throne to his eldest daughter Mary and her Dutch husband, William, Prince of Orange. These two reigned from 1689-1702, and by his consent to the Act of Settlement, William II ensured that the throne would pass, after Princess Anne and her issue, to the Electress Sophia of Hanover to ensure the perpatuation of a Protestant Royal line. As all Queen Anne's children were stillborn or died young she was to be the last of the Stuart Monarchs, and the Hanoverian Georges became rulers of England.

Queen Anne is seldom featured in an Inn Sign, yet during the twelve years of her reign from 1702-1714 many events occurred which were momentous enough to make her more famous than she is. Apart from Marlborough's European victories at Blenheim, Ramillies, and Malplaquet, her reign saw the Union of England and Scotland, which had previously had seperate legislative assemblies, the founding of Queen Anne's Bounty for the poor clergy, the first daily newspaper and the establishment of the General Post Office. She was also the last Sovereign to preside at a meeting of the Privy council and to refuse assent to a Parlimentary Bill. Our national flag, the Union Jack, likewise dates from her reign, which was notable for the literature of Defoe, Swift and Addison, and the institution of horse-racing at Ascot.

We are therefore proud to offer our Sign as a tribute to this seldom honoured Queen who fostered so many benefits which remain with us to this day.